Qualification: A Level Biology (AQA)
Course Tutor: Mrs S Davies
Course entry requirements: General A level entry requirements including two grade 7s at GCSE in Triple Science (one in Biology) or Combined Science (Trilogy) AND a grade 5 in Maths.
- Biological molecules
- Organisms exchange substances with their environment
- Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
- Energy transfers in and between organisms
- Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
- Genetics, populations, evolution and ecosystems
- The control of gene expression
Each year students must complete 12 specific practical tasks that are assessed by their teachers. These are in addition to routine practical lessons and their successful completion is recognised with an endorsement shown in the final exam certificate.
Paper 1 2hr exam covering topics 1-4
Paper 2 2hr exam covering topics 5-8
Paper 3 2hr exam covering topics 1-8
Post-18 Opportunities and Employment
Biology opens up a huge range of Higher Education and career opportunities in areas as diverse as medicine, pharmacology, agriculture, bio-engineering and sports science.
If you would like more detailed information about the content of this course, please visit the Science curriculum page, where you will find curriculum maps for each year of study.